Thursday, October 21, 2010

Interview: ANC 3F Candidate Bob Summersgill

Bob Summersgill is currently running as a candidate for Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3F 07 in the District's Ward 3.

What do you see as the role of the ANC in local government?


"ANCs provide neighborhood representation. Commissioners are the most likely elected officials to be aware of neighborhood concerns and issues; and can bring those issues to the appropriate agencies for action. Commissioners are also the elected officials that are able to engage and involve their constituents as neighbors."

Why are you personally running for the ANC?

"I have been involved in District politics for more than 20 years. Primarily on gay rights, health, and environmental issues. I am generally credited with being the architect of the marriage equality legislation. I worked for 10 years to ensure that once the law was passed it wouldn’t be repealed. I was very involved in lobbying for the indoor smokefree workplace legislation, and strongly supported the bag tax bill. All of these are District-wide issues. I am running to be more involved in neighborhood issues."

What do you see as the most pressing issue facing the neighborhood, and what is your plan to address this issue?

"ANC 3F is in unusually good care.  I am most concerned with increasing the tree canopy, eliminating litter, and removing invasive species.  I am a Lead Citizen Forester with Casey Trees and have been involved with several tree plantings in the area and I will try to schedule additional plantings.  I will be participating in the November 6 planting at Tilden Gardens.  I would like to help the Alice Ferguson Foundation in making the Potomac Watershed trash free by involving our neighbors in that campaign. And I would like to get more of our neighbors involved in working with Friends of Rock Creek Environment (FORCE) in removing invasive species such as English Ivy and removing trash from our parks and Rock Creek."

Is there anything else you'd like to share with voters that wasn't addressed in the above questions?

"I am running unopposed and will not be raising or spending any money to campaign. I will continue to address these issues whether or not I am a Commissioner."

No comments:

Post a Comment